Dentures, also known as "false teeth," are oral appliances made of plastic resin. The great thing about dentures is that they are designed to hide the fact that you have lost your teeth. If you're interested in getting dentures or have questions, the office of your dentist is located in Manteca and Stockton, CA.
Here are a few things to take into consideration before meeting your dentist:
How do people lose teeth?
As people age, teeth deteriorate, but sometimes age isn't the cause. Here are a few reasons:
- Tooth decay due to cavities and poor oral hygiene is a factor contributing to individuals losing their teeth.
- Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, is caused by the buildup of plaque, so brushing your teeth, flossing and visiting your doctor for your bi-yearly appointment is a must.
- Injury due to sports are common and should be treated as a medical emergency, so go to your dentist as soon as you notice a knocked-out tooth.
What types of dentures does your Manteca and Stockton dentist offer:
- Full dentures, or complete dentures, are used when a person has lost all or most of their teeth. The full denture can be installed on the upper jaw, lower jaw or both at the same time. In order for Dr. Rujul Parikh to perform this procedure, however, the patient's gums need to be restored and fully healed, which may take somewhere between 6 to 12 months.
- Immediate dentures are worn during the healing process though. The patient receives immediate dentures, also known as conventional dentures, that are adjusted due to the natural shrinkage of the gums.
- Overdentures, on the other, is used for patients suffering from a few missing teeth. They fit over the patient's natural, intact teeth or dental implants, which provide it with the stability it needs.
- Partial dentures are used when several, but not all of your teeth are missing. The denture has replacement teeth attached to a gum-colored base made of plastic. The partial dentures are then connected to your teeth with metal clasps.
For more information about dentures, contact your dentist's office in Manteca or Stockton, CA. Dr. Rujul Parikh can hep with your dental care!